It was all my fault. My girlfriend broke up with me because I apparently cheated and my business was failing horribly. I was stuck in a rut, with no help and nowhere to go, but at least I could call myself, self made.
But let’s try another definition…
Self made, to be a person who achieves massive success while living life on his/her own terms.
Much better. That’s the definition I used to craft the 50 rules below.
1. Master the self before you master the rest. Mentally. Physically. Emotionally. Be in tune.
2. Idle time is your enemy. Working eight hour days and then watching Game of Thrones for the rest of the evening is for worker bees who live on a leash.
Your life revolves around your creations so always be creating or thinking about creating.
3. It’s OK to not know what you should do next. Most days I wake up not knowing what the fuck I am going to do next, yet I still end the day with a smile. Relax. You’ll figure it out.
4. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it was built. I just thought this sounded cool. I’m sure there’s something deeper here.
5. Control your mentality. How? See rule 39. Fuck. Wrong one. I meant rule 31. Sorry.
6. Whether you’re an artist, athlete, or entrepreneur – own it. If you don’t own it, no one will own your creations.
7. Don’t wait for permission. You don’t need permission to be what you want to be. Act like a drug dealer. A drug dealer doesn’t ask for permission from society, he just finds a connect and starts selling. No. I’m not encouraging you to sell drugs.
8. A lack of knowledge is a good thing. The forty year old worker bee working at the best firm in town knows everything, that’s why he will never try anything.
9. Creativity stems from nothingness. The closest you can get to nothingness is silence. Take quiet time, daily. Just shut the fuck up and be silent.
10. Stop reading self help books. Self help is bullshit. Kind of ironic since I write about self help. I know. So you can stop reading my blog too if you want. I don’t care…OK I lied. I kind of care.
11. If your work doesn’t bleed, it won’t attract any attention.
12. Learn to sell. I don’t care if you’re a musician or a painter, the ability to sell yourself is the number one trait you need to posses.
14. If you want to make big money, focus on making a big impact.
15. “What’s in it for me?” Never send an email, ask for a favor, attend a meeting, or talk to a customer without knowing/presenting the solution to this question.
16. Get an oil change. This doesn’t have anything to do with anything, but I need to take my car in for an oil change so this is a reminder for me.
17. Don’t be afraid to look stupid. The tip above was pretty stupid, but I don’t care. Not being afraid to look stupid leads to dope shit…like getting an oil change.
18. Kill all dead weight. If you don’t kill dead weight, it will kill you.
19. Creativity is to your empire what a human heart is to the body. Exercise it daily. Become an idea machine. Write ten new ideas every single day. I stole this from James Altucher.
20. Get the fuck up and go for a walk. I don’t go for walks because of the health benefits, I go for walks because they increase creativity.
21. Work less. Strategize more. What’s the big picture? Never forget it.
22. Be nice, but don’t be afraid to be an asshole. People piss me off sometimes so I piss them off back. I know. I know. An eye for an eye leaves the world blind. But it’s very tough to remember that when you are late and get cut off while driving by an absolute dick on your way to a very important meeting.
23. Working 2 hours on shit that truly matters is better than working 16 hours on trivial shit. What’s trivial shit? Probably 80% of everything you do.
24. Don’t try to change anyone’s thinking. Some people are dumb. Some people are smart. Who gives a fuck? Stop wasting energy.
25. Say no more often…unless the hot blonde at Starbucks wants to practice making babies with you.
26. Surround yourself with self made people.
27. Put food on others plate if you want your plate to be full of food. Create value for others and you will always receive value in return. It may not be direct, but it will come.
28. Say “FUCK IT” and do the thing that scares you.
30. Eat good food that makes you shit with ease. You want to be around to enjoy your massive success, don’t you?
31. Deflect all negative energy.
32. Be 100% vulnerable. People are attracted to fucked up people who are not scared to let others know they are fucked up.
33. Don’t use labels. If you’re feeling depressed, don’t label yourself as depressed. Once the mind creates a label, it’s very hard to tell it otherwise.
34. Do stupid shit. Stupid shit may turn out to be remarkable shit or it may just stay as stupid shit. You don’t know and I don’t know so what the fuck? Just do it and see where it takes you.
35. Experiment. Get out of the rut. Before you can change the world, you must change the day before you.
36. Walk through a cemetery once every month. Remind yourself of your mortality. This is also a dope way to get out of a rut.
37. Cut ties with rewards. Rewards don’t matter as much as you think they do. In fact, nothing matters, but the heart of your work for that is the essence of who you are.
Damn. I should be a poet.
38. Stop arguing with people. Same reason as rule 24.
39. Have good posture. It shows you’re confident.
40. Sleep or success? You can have both.
41. Know your customer/audience better than they know themselves. Yup. Some stalker shit indeed.
If you sell the world, but deliver the universe…they will always come back to buy more.
43. You’re a slave to your customer. Leisure time? What the fuck is that?
44. Talk to people everywhere you go. You never know who may become an ally, a customer, a girlfriend, a whatever. It doesn’t matter. Just fucking talk…and listen…that’s important too.
45. Do favors for others so when you are in need, you can ask for a favor in return. Godfather type shit.
46. Fail horribly. Try new stuff. Try writing songs using a new found approach. Try new methods for shooting a basketball. Try new marketing strategies. Try new sex positions. Whatever. Just fucking try. Most of the shit will fail horribly. But some of your attempts may just lead to history.
47. Learn as much about people as you can. To be self made doesn’t mean you do it alone. You still need people. In fact, people are the core to what you do. Praise them. Explore them. Reward them. Nourish them.
48. If you want to have the last laugh, you must remember to laugh through the pain. This shit sounds deeper than it really is. Let me try again. Smile through the rejection for it is the rejection that leads to success. I know. I know. Not so deep, after all.
49. Talk to a child. They are the true creators. Believe it or not, they have it all figured out.
50. Break all the rules above and do it your way. Ha-ha. I tricked you. To be self made is to be an individual who lives life on his/her own terms. You don’t need me or anyone else to define those terms for you. You already know what you need to do. Sorry for wasting your time. Fuck every single rule above and do it your way.