I took a walk through the cemetery and I couldn’t help, but think, I don’t want to end up like them. Not the bodies buried in the ground, that’s inevitable, but the names on the tombstones. I don’t want to end up like them. The names people have forgotten. The tombstones people no longer visit. I don’t want to end up like them.
No one wants to come to the end of their life and realize they lived it all wrong, but yet most of us do.
Why? Because we follow the rules listed below.
How to live and die without achieving anything major
1. Follow the path set out for you because it will grant you comfort and stability. Don’t create your own life when a cookie cutter life has already been designed for you. In other words, you should go to college, get good grades, land a high paying job, perform work you hate, get promotions, and climb that corporate ladder, baby.
2. Continue to be a conformist and refuse to think for yourself. If everyone else is doing it, you should do it too. Don’t go against the norm. The life of a sheep is safer than the life of a wolf.
3. Don’t exercise your creative muscles, instead you should spend your time on pleasures that give you instant gratification like watching Harvey Spector rip it up on Suits. It’s a better use of your time.
4. Make sure you always get the bigger slice of the pie. Your return must be greater than your non-monetary investment. In other words, don’t give to the world unless you get something in return.
5. Play the game of life to maintain. Don’t take much risks. Risks will make you lose what you have worked so hard to build. You don’t want to move backwards in life, do you? That’s what I thought. Avoid risks, my friend. Choose safety.
6. Keep reading self help books and watching motivational videos on YouTube. They will provide you with a moment of motivation and will make your brain feel good, but don’t worry, nothing about your life will actually change for the better.
7. Stay inside your comfort zone. It’s a dangerous and chaotic world out there. It’s better to be safe than sorry. Nothing is worth a fast beating heart and sweaty palms…not even the girl of your dreams.
8. Listen to the opinion of others. Place enormous weight on what other people think and say. If others say it, it must be true. They are probably smarter and wiser than you after all.
9. Go with the flow of life. Never take control of the flow or channel the flow, just move with it. Above all, never try to change or create your own flow. It won’t work.
10. Don’t try anything. If you try, you might fail. No, you will fail so what’s the point? There is no point. Failure hurts. It hurts bad. Failure had me shedding tears in the fetal position. Don’t try for you will fail and you will suffer. Don’t tell people you love them, the feeling may not be mutual and you might get rejected. Don’t start a business, you will lose your money and people will hate you. Don’t pack up and travel the world, you may not have a job when you come back. Don’t try anything, that’s the surest way to avoid failure. If you must try, reach for only low bearing fruit on the tree. Fruit you can easily capture.
Well there you have it, my friend. The ten rules of creating a black and white existence. Not a life, but a existence.
Follow the rules listed above and you too can be full of regret right before you take your last breath, you too can become another name in the cemetery that is forgotten right after your casket touches the ground, and you too can live and die without achieving anything worth your while.