Magic Johnson is one of the greatest players to ever step foot on the court. Not only did he beat the odds on the court, but he beat them outside the game of basketball as well when he was hit with the reality of having HIV. Although this disease claims so many, Magic fought hard and remains stronger than ever to this day.
As a result, his courage, his determination, and most importantly his willingness to never give up, show us how anything is possible if we simply want it bad enough.
Without further ado, I present to you some of Magic’s most inspirational words of encouragement.
1. ”You’re the only one who can make the difference. Whatever your dream is, go for it.”
It’s your responsibility to bring forth your dream into reality. Right now your dream is lodged in the depths of your mind. Only you can transform it from being a vision to being a part of your reality.
You owe it to not only yourself, but to the world. You got the gift of life and you have to pay that gift back to the world and the way you go about doing this is by chasing your dreams and succeeding.
Make the world a better place.
You hold the power within you to create an everlasting change.
Dream big and go for it. Only cowards make up excuses and take the “safe route” only to regret it after.
You are the dreamer. This world doesn’t have too many of our kind left. Instead, people give in to the reality they are presented with and give up before they even begin. With that stated, the state of the world is on your shoulders. Become a success.
2. ”If somebody says no to you, or if you get cut, Michael Jordan was cut his first year, but he came back and he was the best ever. That is what you have to have. The attitude that I’m going to show everybody, I’m going to work hard to get better and better.”
In order to succeed, pledge to yourself that you will continue to work hard until you make your dreams a reality. Promise yourself you won’t stop whether it takes 10 years, 20 years, or your entire life. Promise yourself to never stop when you are presented with a roadblock. Promise yourself you will never give up and never retreat. Promise yourself you will take yourself to the top of the world.
3. “Everyone thought I was going to die like a year later, they didn’t know. So I helped educate sports, and then the world, that a man living with HIV can play basketball. He’s not going to give it to anybody by playing basketball.”
Success is an uphill battle. You must be willing to go up against the odds and most importantly give it everything you have in order to beat the odds.
It doesn’t matter what people think or say, you have to remain focused and driven.
4. “When you face a crisis, you know who your true friends are.”
The beauty of facing bad times in life is they allow us to see things and most importantly people for who they truly are.
When you’re on top of the world, everyone will be all over you and will adore you, but when you fall and are at your lowest point, only the real ones who truly love you unconditionally will remain. As a result, cherish the bad times for they teach you about the people who surround you. The key is to keep the ones who love you unconditionally around you and do away with the people who only come around when the sun is shining.
5. “You don’t have to be Magic to be special. You’re already special, you’re you.”
You were born special. We all were. The key; however is to let this light shine on the world.
By letting your light shine, you create a name for yourself.
When you are dead and gone, people are going to associate some words to your name and that is what they are going to remember you by, make sure you give them something to remember.
6. “I never think that there’s something I can’t do, whether it’s beating my opponent one on one or practicing another hour because something about my game is just not right.”
Always believe in yourself. Always believe in your abilities. There is nothing you cannot do. If you want something bad, you’ll find a way even when the whole world seems to be against you.
7. “Ask not what your teammates can do for you, ask what you can do for your teammates.”
Stop looking at the world and the people who make up this world as if they owe you something. Instead take on the approach of being the one who creates the bang in the world.
Let your light shine, be remarkable and do remarkable things and in return change the world and make it a better place as a result of you having lived here. As a result, your legacy shall remain in the hearts of millions well after you have been put to rest.